The Adelaide Adrenaline have signed Swedish import goalie Sebastian Andersson in time for the start of the 2018 season.
Sebastian gets in Adelaide on Wednesday and will start in net on Saturday April 21 vs. the Melbourne Ice on the road.
Sebastian plays Division 1 Swedish Hockey with Hammarby IF. He has experience in NCAA hockey with New England where he played with 2015 Adrenaline import Jonathan Boxill.
Andersson has some impressive numbers. His most impressive college season with New England was in 2013/14 when he had a 2.38 goals against average (GAA) and .929 save percentage (SVS%) in 22 games.
"He's a great goalie and even better guy," said Boxill, who played on that 2013/14 team. "He's going to be a great fit in Australia and the fans are going to love him. He's a fantastic teammate."
This season in the spring "playoff" competition with Hammarby, he won the best GAA and SVS% awards for the East division. He had a 1.81GAA and .936 SVS%.
Local Adrenaline goalie Glen Forbes White saw him play in Sweden a couple times during the Swedish season and said he was very impressive and made some "unreal" saves.
Sebastian will join the squad and be tasked with helping develop goalies not just on the Adrenaline but all of South Australia.
Read his Q & A below.
1) What have you heard about the Australian Ice Hockey League before deciding to come over here?
To be honest, not a whole lot until recently. I've understood that people play here because they truly love the game, and I look forward to experience that kind of passion.
2) What kind of goalie are you in terms of style?
I'm a hybrid goaltender, I tend to mix the modern style with more old school saves.
3) Who were some of your childhood hockey heroes growing up in Sweden?
My absolute favourite goalie growing up was Dominik Hasek. It was one of the first goalies I watched on TV and I was amazed by his style.
4) We hear you play hockey full-time and work full-time, just like our guys here! Can you tell us a little bit about the balance you try to maintain?
Balance? Eat, sleep, hockey! Jokes aside, it's hard work. I wake up around 6AM, go to work until 4PM, go straight to the rink for a game or double session. I usually come home around 10PM.
5) You played with former import Jon Boxill in the USA. What was the college hockey experience like for you?
The best of two worlds! I pretty much missed two entire seasons due to major hip surgeries, before becoming the starting goaltender and earning All-Conference honors.
6) There are a lot of aspiring goalies in South Australia. Do you think you'd be able to help them out while you are here?
I would definitely like that! With both European and North American influences I think I have a lot to bring to the table.
7) You'll meet a lot of fans and members here. If they see you sitting or standing around and want to start a coversation, what should they talk to you about!
Almost anything, I'm a social person.
QUICK SHOTS Favourite NHL Team: New York Rangers Favourite Hockey Player: Henrik Lundqvist First Favourite Athlete: Henrik Larsson Favourite Sport (that is not hockey): Football, I'm obsessed with the English Premier League Favourite Pre-Game Music: House Favourite Pre-Game Meal: Pasta with anything Random Fact About You: I love cats and hate early mornings. My dad is my idol.